Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I read that it's better NOT to use shampoo, but just double or triple the conditioner... is that true?

I read it on a professional hair website that was selling just conditioner.


Now that I think about it, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm still washing the oil and dirt and stuff out of my hair, aren't I? It's just without the drying of shampoo.


Is that true?? And can someone try it for me? Lol. Really, I'm not that selfish, but if it's interesting to you too, I wouldn't mind knowing the results...I read that it's better NOT to use shampoo, but just double or triple the conditioner... is that true?
Sometimes. If varies, but a lot of people have great success with conditioner only washing (CO). I wash only with conditioner myself. It's definitely worth trying.





You need to be careful with what kind of conditioner you use tho. A lot of conditioners have silicones in them, which coat the hair and make it more shiny and slippery. Shampoos are very light in silicones, or don't have them at all, while conditioners can have lots in them. To get silicone off your hair you need shampoo. So, going CO with a very siliconey conditioner will get you a lot of yukky build-up.





That said, I know of people who CO every day and use shampoo once a week. So if you have a conditioner you love with silicones in it you can find a compromise.





How to CO wash: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjo鈥?/a>


Another method for CO washing: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjo鈥?/a>


How to tell if a conditioner has silicones, and weather or not you use silicones: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjo鈥?/a>


Some tips on getting hair extra clean: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjo鈥?/a>





Just to warn you, a lot of people have a period where their hair gets used to CO washing. Because regular shampoos are so harsh (they have to be to get out all those silicones!) your scalp over-produces oil to compensate. Conditioner will still cut the grease, but not quite as well. It'll take a few weeks for your scalp to adjust and make less oil. Ultimately it's totally worth it, because then your hair is left with enough oil to keep it soft and healthy, but it doesn't look greasy either. It'll behave so much better too =)I read that it's better NOT to use shampoo, but just double or triple the conditioner... is that true?
If you wash your hair every 2-3 days, it's not going to be harmful. Shampoo is made to clean the hair and conditioner is made to put back oils and make it smoother and untangled. They are two different substances made for two different purposes.





Hair companies spend tons of money researching their products for the right ingredients, so I would think they, of all people, know what they're doing. :)
Too much conditioner makes your hair greasy. Trust me I have put too much in before. So continue to use shampoo and conditioner. But only a little of each.
No, because when you use a lot of conditioner and no shampoo, your hair looks really greasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment